and all the sinners, saints
-Rolling Stones, "Sympathy For The Devil"
Courtesy SooperMexican, a bit of clarification about Baltimore:
I wonder if all this rioting and civil rights investigating and such isn't just a way of big cities leaning on police departments that refuse to go along with the social justice warrior plan. They keep voting Republican, they keep rejecting leftist schemes and keep stubbornly profiling and arresting criminals regardless of their special interest group.
Are there bad cops? Sure. And I am sure some good cops do bad things sometimes when they get really frustrated or upset. It would be a very tough, frustrating job, particularly in some areas. And sometimes humans will do terrible things when they get fed up and angry. And those cops should be punished and removed from their jobs.
But the latest trend is to act like cops are all horrible thugs and racist monsters, waiting for a chance to beat and kill blacks and that's idiotic and utterly false. And if Baltimore is wracked with racism, its certainly going to be a tough case to make that it was due to white people and Republicans. At least, honestly and factually.
An update courtesy Newt Gingrich at The Federalist:
- Fact: The last Republican city council member in Baltimore City left office in 1942. That is 73 years of solid Democrat city councils.
- Fact: The last Republican mayor of Baltimore City left office in 1967. That is 48 years of unbroken Democrat control of the mayor’s office.
- Fact: The Maryland Senate is currently 33 Democrats to 14 Republicans.
- Fact: The Maryland House is currently 90 Democrats to 50 Republicans.
- Fact: The last time Republicans held both the Maryland Senate and the Maryland House of Delegates was 1897.
- Fact: The last time Republicans held even one chamber of the Maryland General Assembly—the House—was 1917. That is unbroken Democrat control of the Maryland legislature since 1918, or nearly a century of Democrat control.
- Fact: Seven out of eight members of the Maryland delegation in the U.S. House are Democrats.
- Fact: The last Republican U.S. senator from Maryland was elected in 1980.