There was another shooting, in a school. Every time this happens, like clockwork, you see the exact same scenario play out. The same people yell that gun control would prevent this and the same people claim that the Tea Party or those scary right wing nut jobs who want smaller government are to blame somehow. Usually someone suggests or outright states that the perpetrator has to be a member one of those two groups.
Its happened over and over, they keep trying and trying to show that its crazed right wingers who do this, and over and over they keep failing. At Ace of Spades HQ they had a partial list of these events and the accusations, with the eventual facts that came out. I've added a few to the list to make it more complete here:
- October 2002: The Beltway area was terrorized by a sniper, who was confidently profiled as a right wing white man angry at government. It turned out to be a black Muslim who was pulled over repeatedly and let go because he didn't fit the profile. Media and trial lawyers try desperately to claim he was not motivated by Jihad, but he clearly says so and has many photos of Islamic extremist imagery and statements.
- April 2007: Seung-Hui Cho shoots up Virginia Tech. Media speculates Tea Party rhetoric to blame. Cho was off medication and mentally unstable, states in videos he made that he hates Christians and rich people.
- Sept 2009: census-taker Bill Sparkman found hanged in rural Kentucky. Media speculated it was Tea Party, or at least crazed anti-government fanatics. It was ruled a suicide.
- Feb 2010: Joe Stack flies small plane into an IRS building. Media claims his ideas were straight off a Tea Party sign and implies links to the group. They left off the quotes from the Communist Manifesto in his suicide note.
- Feb 2010: Amy Bishop shoots colleagues at University of Alabama faculty meeting. Media suggests gun-loving Tea party membership. Ms Bishop was an Obama voter and Democrat party activist.
- March 2010: John Patrick Bedell shot two Pentagon security men. Media speculates he's a right wing extremist, but he was a registered Democrat is a 9/11 truther.
- May 2010: massive Times Square car bomb found. Bloomberg speculates it's someone upset about ACA. He was just a radical Muslim.
- August 2010: Amid Ground Zero Mosque debate, a Muslim cabbie is stabbed in NYC. Media speculates: was it a a right winger bigot? No, it was an art student leftist who was off his medication.
- Sept 2010: James Lee takes hostages at Discovery Chan HQ. Media speculates: tea partier? No he was an environmental extremist who feared global warming and overpopulation.
- Dec 2010: Clay Duke shoots at FL school board. Talk show host Mike Malloy on blames Glenn Beck. Duke is a hard left activist who loved Clinton/Soros sponsored Media Matters website.
- Jan 2011: Jared Lee Loughner shoots up campaign event of Rep. Giffords, killing several people including a judge. Media: Tea Party rhetoric and Sarah Palin are to blame and ignores other victims for a focus on pretty Giffords. He was just a lunatic conspiracy theorist without any clear politics.
- July 2012: James Holmes shoots up theater in Aurora, Colorado. Brian Ross suggests he's a Tea Party member on live TV. Turns out he was just a crazed man off his meds without clear political leanings.
- February 2013: Christopher Dorner goes on a cop-killing rampage. Media ignores his politics, calling for people to not focus on his ideology. Dorner was a strong Obama supporter, gun control advocate and huge fan of MSNBC.
- April 2013: Tsarnaev bros bomb Boston Marathon. Media suggests Right Wing Nut Job commemorating "Patriot's Day." Turns out they were just crazed Muslim radicals.
- September 2013: Aaron Alexis shoots up the Navy Yard, media suggests he's a right wing gun nut. Alexis is an Obama voter who drives a Prius.
And of course recently, the media tried to blame the Lee Harvey Oswald (a communist) killing JFK on right wing conservative Dallas Texas.
As I wrote in my Common Knowledge piece, Jim Jones of the Guyana mass suicide was a big time leftist, Democrat activist, and friend of high profile Democrats. You can just guess what the rhetoric would be if that had happened today: Religious nut, Christians are dangerous, look what faith does to people.
If they ever do find one that's a tea party rally attender or a Republican, you know it will be used as proof, proof! that these groups are evil and horrible. One example is all it would take, and forever after that would be the repeated name. Joe Blow, the Joe Blow party, tea partiers are all Joe Blow.
The fact that almost all of them are left leaning to the extent they are political at all is proof of nothing, of course. That is just coincidence, and they are no true Scotsman. Ignore their politics, that's irrelevant and hurtful to the people attacked.
My position is that crazed evil people do crazy, evil stuff regardless of their politics. The fact that almost all of these killers ended up being left leaning to some degree is not evidence of some particular murderous evil in the left. They were insane and horrible people that did insane and horrible stuff, their politics was as significant as the breakfast cereal they all ate.
Oh, and the most recent shooting in Colorado? A left wing gun control socialist. He was stopped because an armed deputy was at the school.