“You’d think they’d be saying thank you.”
Mike at Cold Fury has a baffled analysis of modern culture which examines what has happened to definition and language in the events of the last 25 years or so. I'd call it Orwellian, but not even George Orwell went this far in redefining things to be their near-exact opposite, then presented it boldly and without shame. In the book 1984 the all powerful dictatorship forced the twisting of language on people, in our culture, the popular culture and legacy media does and we're supposed to just go along... and too many people readily do.
Okay, let me see if I have all this straight. Bill Clinton, a white Southerner, was the first black president. Obama, an apparently straight guy, is the first gay president. George Zimmerman, a Hispanic, is a white guy. Elizabeth Warren, the whitest white woman anybody ever saw, is an Injun.Oh, he's not done yet. It goes on:
Andrew Sullivan, a liberal, considers himself the last “true conservative.” The Democrat Socialists, left-wingers to a fault, consider themselves “centrist” or “moderate,” and Mitt Romney, who is a liberal, is a “right-wing extremist.”
- Violent OWS revolutionaries are described as “mostly peaceful.”
- People living on government benefits are “hard-working Americans,”
- people who gave up looking for work aren’t even counted as unemployed at all
- More than three straight years of economic stagnation in the Obama Depression is some kind of “recovery.”
- The top one percent of income earners who actually pay more than fifty percent of the nation's taxes aren’t paying “their fair share” and “have no skin in the game.”
- Politicians who govern against the clearly-expressed will of the people as often as not, are “public servants.”
- Windmills, which date back to the 15th century or thereabouts, are the way of the future.
He has a lot more at the link. And there's even more than he has listed, such as how such a group of liberty-hating leftists managed to successfully label themselves as "liberal." Redefining words to their near or exact opposite isn't uncommon for those who describe themselves as "progressive" but in recent years its gotten out of control. And this is only done because it works, because Americans buy into it and even start repeating it without thought. And while some of the people pushing this nonsense are doing so on purpose to manipulate public thought, most of them really are unaware at the reversal they are engaging in.